Moving to a new home is never easy, but you’re in charge of whether you have a smooth move or a traumatic one. Here are some suggestions for before a move.
- Take at least a few weeks to go through clothes and household items to get rid of anything you no longer need or want. Don’t move anything that you don’t want to keep. Get ready for a fresh start!
- Make a plan for your furniture placement. Use the extra sticky post-its to label each piece with the right room so there is no confusion on moving day.
- Start packing way before you think you need to. Begin with the least needed items and box up your kitchen and personal items last. Label each box by number and list critical things inside. Put the room the box belongs in on the outside. It seems simple, but it will really help!
- Highlight any boxes that need to be unpacked first. Have a special place in your new home to stack those.
- Choose a special cupboard or closet to put those things that are too precious or valuable to have movers handle so that you can move them yourself.
- Check regularly behind your local copier stores for terrific boxes that are strong and a good size for packing, stacking and lifting. You will need many more boxes than you think you will.
If you are moving into a home that is not new, either clean or have your new home cleaned before you move in. Check the floors to see if any carpet needs cleaning or if any other flooring should be sealed or protected. Line your kitchen shelves with shelf paper and do as much as you can to prepare your home for the move in.